Michaelhouse was founded in 1896 by the Anglican Priest Canon James Cameron Todd. The School was established as a private venture with 15 boys in two small houses in Loop Street, Pietermaritzburg.

Within a few years, Michaelhouse was appointed the Diocesan College for boys in Natal, governed by a permanent Trust Deed and administered by a Board of Governors. The strong Christian ethos remains the cornerstone of the value system at Michaelhouse.

In 1901 the Boys’ School was relocated to Balgowan, where some 77 boys took up residence in the buildings which remain the core of the School to this day. For many years there was no electricity or running water, with the fruitful labours of farming the land contributing towards the dietary needs of the boys – a far cry from the modern facilities available today.

Numerous displays are available for viewing in the Rector’s Reception. Although some of the earlier records have gone astray, the Michaelhouse Archive does retain a full set of Board and other operational minutes, a collection of the School Magazine spanning 124 years, building plans and memorabilia. Other information includes Old Boys’ records, press cuttings, correspondence and film material of the School.


The living Archive Museum is a modern facility specially designed to house interactive physical and digital displays celebrating the school’s rich 124 year history. The museum is open on weekdays and Saturday mornings of home fixtures.

Visit our comprehensive electronic archive – a magnificent digital record documenting every details of our School’s development.

Important Year Dates


New Boys' Day


Prize Giving*


Grandparents' Day


Hilton/Michaelhouse Sports Day (Away)


Old Boys' Gaudy Dinners


PBHS Winter Sports Day (home)


Old Boys' Day


Michaelhouse/Hilton (home)


Matric Ball

2024-09-07 - 2024-09-19

C Block Journey

2024-09-14 - 2024-09-19

D Block Pondoland Hike

2024-09-16 - 2024-09-19

E Block Camp


Speech Day


Remembrance Sunday

Copyright © 2024 Michaelhouse. All rights reserved.